I know I haven’t been here in a while due to personal reasons but I’m back with a tasty new treat!
I myself cannot resist a bit of chocolate in my desserts. I know you’re the same as well. Don’t deny it.
I have the perfect recipe for you, delicious dark chocolate, hazelnuts and a crunchy biscuit base. Perfect with clotted cream. Yum, yum.
200 grams of Plain chocolate,
2 Egg whites,
1 Egg yolk,
75 grams of Caster sugar,
100ml Double cream,
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional)
A handful of hazelnuts (optional)
Half a packet of digestive biscuits.
100 grams of melted unsalted butter or margarine.
Half dozen free range eggs: £1.00
2 bars of chocolate 30p each (value range)
A small bag of caster sugar: £1.00
300ml of double cream £1.10
Digestive biscuits 40p (value range)
Vanilla essence: £1.00
Total cost per person: £1.25
1. Crush the biscuits well until they are fine crumbs.
2. Melt the butter and add to the biscuits mixing until combined.
3. Press into a greased or lined round baking tin and put into the fridge to chill.
(Preheat oven to gas mark 5)
1. Melt the chocolate over a low heat making sure it doesn’t burn.
2. Whisk the egg whites into a stiff peak (use the turn the bowl upside down test). Add in the sugar and whisk again until combined thoroughly.
3. Add the cream to the chocolate and mix, then stir in the egg yolk.
4. Take off the heat and gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
5. When combined pour the chocolate mixture over the biscuit base, sprinkle over the hazelnuts and bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until the top has crisped.
6. Take out of the oven and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours. When ready serve with clotted cream yum yum, delicious.
Tallies Handy Tip:
When using chocolate in a dessert you don’t need to buy cooking chocolate, the supermarkets value range chocolate is tasty, works just as well as cooking choc if not better and it’s cheaper too.